11.24.2006

Tryptophan Recovery Day

This post comes to you from the Glorious Home State - Pennsylvania - though I haven't actually seen much of the goings on in that state as I have been trying desperately to overcome the effects of the tryptophan (as illustrated at right) in what must have been at least seven pounds of turkey. And that's just the turkey that I ate...

I hope everybody enjoyed the holiday festivities of their choice and I hope that everyone was lucky enough to have today to lay around and engage in that most American of pass times - being lazy. Football would also have been an acceptable answer.

I was blessed with a Thanksgiving gathering free of political rancor. Hopefully everybody else was able to visit their crazy wingnut uncles without being thrown out of the house for being a pinko commie bastard as well.

While we all relax and eat leftovers, the political world continues to turn. Think Progress reports:

Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO), one of the leading voices on immigration for the right, claims President George W. Bush is plotting to merge the U.S. with Mexico and Canada. An excerpt from WorldNetDaily:

Tancredo lashed out at the White House’s lack of action in securing U.S. borders, and said efforts to merge the U.S. with both Mexico and Canada is not a fantasy.
"I know this is dramatic - or maybe somebody would say overly dramatic — but I'm telling you, that everything I see leads me to believe that this whole idea of the North American Union, it's not something that just is written about by right-wing fringe kooks. It is something in the head of the president of the United States, the president of Mexico, I think the prime minister of Canada buys into it.
While I stand in awe of Rep. Tancredo's ability to read George W. Bush's mind, the mind of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and President Vicente Fox Quesada, Think Progress notes taht various right-wing authorities were quick to, um, condemn Tancredo's remarks?

The National Review:
This is not a fringe. It's a wave. It's fine to disagree with Rep. Trancredo; it's wrong to treat him like a lunatic when he is anything but.
Forgive me if I still consider anybody who thinks that an American Politician could 'merge Canada, the U.S., and Mexico' is a stark-raving lunatic. The only way that it could ever happen is that George W. Bush decides to conquer Mexico and Canada.

It's really a sad state of affairs when I believe that the United States invading and conquering it's neighbors is a more realistic option. Welcome to Bush World.

No comments: