11.27.2006

Trent Lott Doesn't Like Karl Rove

In 2002, Trent Lott, the new Republican Senate Minority Whip, said that if segregationist Strom Thurmond had been elected in 1948, "we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years."

Karl Rove took the opportunity to drive the then Senate Republican Leader out of power - more for being a weak leader than for any ethical reasons.

Now Trent Lott may have his chance at revenge.

From Think Progress has the transcript of a Fox News interview:

WALLACE: Senator, over the last four years, though, you did have some harsh things to say about the White House, and I wonder whether you still stand by them. You said Karl Rove should resign. Still believe that?

LOTT: Look, I've been in sort of a liberated mode. Some people say that they hope in my new leadership position, I won't give that up. I do believe in trying to be honest and respectful. I've had problems with some of the conduct of Karl Rove. But I have a good relationship with the President and most of the people around him. I think Josh Bolten is doing a great job as his chief of staff. You know, the president and I can communicate, and I want to see him succeed, because he is the President. And we have to work with Democrats because they are in the majority.
This meme is a bit of a theme for Mr. Lott. He's called for Rove's resignation before, during the CIA 'Plame-gate' scandal.

At risk of casting Mr. Lott in a positive light, (something I DO NOT want to do) I think having somebody who's actively opposed to the White House is a good thing. Even if the hostility isn't for ideological reasons, it's good to have someone who sees all things Rovian as suspect and treats them with hostility.

And this from the person leading the party that should be most receptive to the President's agenda.

While it appears that the Democrats won't press their advantage, the rubber stamp congress seems to be a thing of the past for BushCo.

No comments: