1.24.2007

Annotated State of the Union

I'm hoping to get back to regular posting soon. Even if I don't have time for a full analysis, I just couldn't let the SOTU go past without at least a 'documentation' type post...

From ThinkProgress and Click.TV:






Altogether, a rather flat speech, though Bush kinda pulled it together at the end. Of course he had to resort to pointing to a guy that demonstrated courage and concern for his fellow citizen - something completely alien to Bush. I'm not really seeing Bush get much more than a point or two out of this speech. First, with his numbers in the tank, I imagine most people avoided watching it. People who did already had firm opinions on Iraq and the Bush Administration. The speech was unlikely to do anything but reaffirm them.

Anybody who did tune in for the SOTU and didn't stick around for the Democratic response missed what was undoubtedly the better speech of the night. even though it was delivered by a newly elected Senator, my guess is that it will be Jim Webb's (D-VA) speech that will be better remembered 10 years down the road.

Speaking of which...



I'm sure Bush is glad he got to speak before Webb. Pitting a man who can barely form cohesive sentences against a well-regarded novelist is almost unfair...



No comments: