11.27.2006

BREAKING! Iraq now a Civil War!

Well, NBC has finally caught up to reality. The Pentagon is still in denial.

I will take this opportunity to point out that despite NBC's vastly greater access to information, their global network of reporters, and 24 hour a day monitoring of the situation in Iraq, I still beat them to this conclusion by about nine months.

Evidence?

Iraq's Fort Sumpter - February 22nd, right here on 300 Dollar Wonder:

The BBC (which also gets credit for the picture) is reporting on an attack on the al-Askari shrine in Samarra, holy site for Shia all over the world and Iraq in particular. The shrine, resting place of the 10th and 11th Imam and the place where the 12th 'Hidden' Imam disappeared. The golden dome of the shrine along with it contents, were severely damaged when armed men forced their way into the shrine in the early morning and detonated explosives. Shia outrage is huge.

[...]

I can't help thinking that things in Iraq are getting worse, not better. I see no way this situation can end in anything but civil war.
I'd take pride in my ability to say 'I told you so' except that thousands of people have died, many thousands more have been injured or made homeless, the entire region stands on the edge of chaos and the world (and the U.S. specifically) faces a more dangerous future.

Thanks, George.

No comments: