10.20.2006

Torture

From the BBC:

Can the so-called "ticking bomb" defence - the argument that using some degree of torture may save lives - ever be a justification for mistreating suspects?

The findings of the opinion poll for the BBC World Service indicate that 59% of the world's citizens say "no": they are unwilling to compromise on the protection of human rights.
The shocking fact (other than only 59% of people think torture is bad) is that the United States, falls almost exactly on the average at 58%. The BBC provides this graphic:The survey included more than 27,000 people in 25 countries.

Interesting. The percentage of pro-torture Americans, 36%, is nearly identical to George W. Bush's approval rating...

The study didn't define 'torture' or provide examples. It relied on people to respond to the question according to what they believed constituted torture.

There was no link provided to the study, so I don't really have much analysis here. I wish I could compare U.S. reaction to Europe. I wish I could compare large countries to small countries. I wish I could compare nations that have recently seen war, terrorism or other violence on their soil to those who have not.

No comments: