5.11.2006

Bush Rebuttal Diary

Bush's rebuttal, which cannot for the life of me find the text of anywhere, came at noon. The AP reports but doesn't give any real news about his speech.

WASHINGTON -
President Bush addressed Thursday a newspaper report that the National Security Agency was collecting records of tens of millions of ordinary Americans' phone calls.

Bush did not confrim the report that AT&T Corp., Verizon Communications Inc., and BellSouth Corp. began turning over records to the NSA shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, as USA Today reported based on anonymous sources it said had direct knowledge of the arrangement.

"Our intelligence activities strictly target al-Qaida and their known affiliates," Bush said. "We are not mining or trolling through the personal lives of innocent Americans."
I do know that the first two words of the address were "After 9/11..." But let's examine the President's claim.
"We are not mining or trolling through the personal lives of innocent Americans"

vs.

"The National Security Agency has been secretly collecting the phone call records of tens of millions of Americans." (From the USA Today)
I'm no genius but I'm pretty sure that there aren't tens of millions members of al-Quida. I'm ENTIRELY sure that there aren't millions of al-Quida members in the United States. So, by powers of logic, somebody's lying. Either BushCo or the USA Today.

I know who I trust...

More as I find it.

No comments: