3.15.2006

Troop Levels in Iraq to Increase

Via the New York Times:

At a Pentagon news briefing, Mr. Rumsfeld said any increase in troops would coincide with a surge of pilgrims expected to visit Muslim shrines in coming weeks. In both 2004 and 2005, violence was sometimes directed at Shiite pilgrims during religious holidays.

Three officials involved in the discussions said a leading proposal was to send in a battalion-size group, about 800 troops.

Pentagon civilian and military officials said any extra forces that might be ordered into Iraq would come from an armored brigade of about 3,500 to 4,000 troops now stationed in Kuwait for just such a need if conditions deteriorated.
This seems logical. I do the same thing when I bring junk into the apartment. I tell my fiance that it's only a little bit of junk and it's only temporary.

It takes months to get it back out - if it ever leaves at all. I expect nothing less from Don Rumsfeld.

No comments: