3.15.2006

Jamie Raskin - Candidate for Md. Senate

Having moved to the DC Metro area from Pennsylvania, I'm slowly picking up the local politics. The only problem is that I'll actually have to wait in the 'Democrat' line for elections...

There is one candidate, Jamie Raskin, who has caught my eye. Jamie is a professor of Constitutional Law at American University's Washington College of Law. In that capacity, he was asked to testify before the Maryland Senate on On Senate Bill 690, a bill to ban gay marriage. An excerpt:

"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You didn't place your hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."

- in response to a question from Republican Senator Nancy Jacobs about whether marriage discrimination against gay people is required by "God's Law."
I don't know whether this meme is his own or if someone else originated it. I do know that I like it. It's one that we should use at every possible opportunity.

1 comment:

Tom Hilton said...

Great quote! Thanks for highlighting it. (Here via Shakespeare's Sister.)